Follow Tokatakiya on Twitter


Saturday, August 19, 2006

Here's My Outrage

From on High is wondering where the outrage from the people who have been pounding on George Allen all week is regarding the (also) obviously bigoted remarks made by former Atlanta Mayor and UN Ambassador Andrew Young. Who, earlier this week, said:
"Well, I think they should; they ran the mom-and-pop stores out of my neighborhood.

"But you see, those are the people who have been overcharging us, selling us stale bread and bad meat and wilted vegetables. And they sold out and moved to Florida. I think they've ripped off our communities enough.

"First it was Jews, then it was Koreans and now it's Arabs; very few black people own these stores."
First of all, I'm not sure why bloggers in Virginia should be so up in arms about statements by a guy who is not and has never been an elected official in this state but, From on High, if it makes you feel any better: These are idiotic, racist statements and it is deplorable that Young has not been held to account for them.

Oh, wait...

Actually, Young has resigned (or was forced to resign) from Wal-Mart because of these remarks. That would be what is known as accountability. Young is taking (or being forced to take) responsibility for his stupidity. He also gave a real apology:
"I retract those comments," he said in a statement. "And I ask for the forgiveness of those I have offended."
Not an "I'm sorry if he was offended by it" apology.

Let me know when George Allen takes responsibility for his remarks by resigning, or is held to account by being forced to resign (or actually apologizes).

So, to re-cap: Andrew Young and George Allen both made racially insensitive statements this week, but only one of them took responsibility for it (Young) and only one of them still has a job (Allen).

There's some outrage for you.

To contribute to Jim Webb for Senate, click
Bloggers for Webb


, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments on "Here's My Outrage"

 

Blogger Nicholas said ... (9:30 AM) : 

I don't know what it is George Allen said, but I do know that one day after Andrew Young apologized, he retracted his apology, and re-cast himself as the victim in the piece.

Nicholas Stix

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:45 AM) : 

Why is it that people want to tell us what we can and can't be outraged about?

I would agree, Andrew Young's remarks were stupid and thoughtless, but last I heard, he didn't fancy himself a possible future president of the United States, either.

 

Blogger Tokatakiya said ... (12:47 PM) : 

To nicholas:

First of all, if you don't know what George Allen said go here.

Secondly, regardless of how he "re-cast himself", he is out of a job.

Thirdly, I still don't see what Andrew Young has to do with the Virginia Senate race.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:59 PM) : 

Trent Lott is beginning to seem more and more sypathetic when I see how closely african american civil rights leaders resemble the KKK. There was a state official who had to resign last year because he used the word "niggardly" and the black mayor was ignorant and took it as a racial slur.

 

post a comment

View My Stats



ButtonGenerator.com
Politics Blogs
Start Blogging