Follow Tokatakiya on Twitter


Monday, May 12, 2008

Chinese Earthquake Relief: Chongqing

In the wake of today's 7.9 earthquake (which is hard to even imagine) in central China, I wanted to post this video that I've been meaning to highlight. Coincidentally, it is about Chongqing, a massive city in China and the story of its incredible growth. It is a city the size of New York that most Americans (including myself, until recently) have never heard of. It also happens to be near the epicenter of today's earthquake.

I know that I often use my blog to excoriate the Chinese but I am always careful to point out that my criticisms are aimed at the PRC government. I have nothing but respect for the Chinese people and hope for them to have the same freedoms we enjoy in this country. I think the best thing we can do is understand each other's lives.


I sincerely hope that the death toll won't rise any further. Unfortunately, I'm sure it will. Save the Children is the relief organization that I usually trust for things like this. (You can also donate for the cyclone in Myanmar - Save the Children is one of the only aid organizations that was on the ground before the storm hit.)

It is important to remember that, no matter what our differences with the Chinese government, we shouldn't use that as a reason to neglect humanitarian efforts to help the Chinese people.

Pray.

Labels: ,

Comments on "Chinese Earthquake Relief: Chongqing"

 

post a comment

View My Stats



ButtonGenerator.com
Politics Blogs
Start Blogging