Follow Tokatakiya on Twitter


Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The J-Word is the New M-Word

If I was an Allen supporter, I would have a pretty bad feeling in the pit of my stomach today.

We all know I'm pro-Webb but let's take a quick non-partisan look at some of the results of Allen's "don't-ask-me-about-my-Jewish-heritage" freak-out from the FCCC debate yesterday:

Everybody is talking about this now. If you would have told Allen that there would be a new non-M-word issue dominating the headlines and blogs, he would have been thrilled. Unfortunately, now people on both sides are talking about different variations of "Was the question appropriate?" (Which I believe it was not) or "Why did Allen freak-out about being asked this question?". Some are (correctly, in my opinion) asking both.

Don't believe me? Look here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here. Not enough for ya? Try here, here, here, here, and here. And Virginia Centrist is tearing this up here, here, here, here, and here.

Also, MSM here, here, and here.

What's my point? Allen's defensiveness over being asked about his possibly Jewish heritage is in the air now. Everytime someone mentions this incident (and if the M-word incident is any indication, this will stick for a while) they almost necessarily have to mention the M-word again. This means two-things: more people who hadn't been paying attention before will hear of Allen's comments, and Jim Webb's name recognition goes up. Both of these things will drive voters to Webb.

So my question: Did the Allen campaign learn anything from the way they botched (and continue to botch) the M-word scandal, or will they keep throwing gasoline on this fire the way they did (and keep doing) with the M-word?

My guess is this: we are looking at the Allen campaign burning on a bonfire of their own creation. I really think the poll numbers are going to start separating in Webb's favor fairly soon. Plus, the word is that Webb's campaign received $100K in the 24 hours after "Meet the Press". Look for that trend to continue.

Allen for President is clearly dead (despite his obviously lingering hopes for a run that were evident from his refusal to commit to a full 6-year term on "MTP").

As for Senate re-election? Those hopes are now dwindling. I read a comment somewhere right after the M-word incident that said that it was the "beginning of the end" for Allen. At the time I thought it was merely the end of the beginning.

This, however, is likely the real beginning of the end for Allen and, from what we've seen from Allen's campaign staff, they will likely act as the accelerant in their own immolation.


To contribute to Jim Webb for Senate, click
Bloggers for Webb


, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments on "The J-Word is the New M-Word"

 

Blogger Dvt guy said ... (3:28 PM) : 

Peggy Fox's question: bad

George Allen's answer: worse

 

post a comment

View My Stats



ButtonGenerator.com
Politics Blogs
Start Blogging