Follow Tokatakiya on Twitter


Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Another Example of Why Jim Webb is Better than George Allen

Ask and ye shall receive:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Date: Wednesday, September 13, 2006
Contact: Jeff Pyatt: 703-778-4080
Jessica Smith, c: 202-236-3002

Statement by Jim Webb

"I am completely comfortable with the roles of women in today's military, and I fully support the advancements that have taken place. Over the past few years I have been privileged to visit numerous military units, and to accept the invitations of female officers for command visits in Japan, Hawaii, Washington, DC and Quantico. I look forward to continuing to do so.

"27 years ago I wrote a magazine article about the issue of women in combat and women at the Naval Academy. I did not title the article. In the article I made clear that I would support a woman candidate for President and would have voted for Margaret Thatcher and Golda Meir. The article was written during a time of great emotional debate over a wide array of social issues in this country, and the tone of this article was no exception. Many leading military figures, including the Commandant of the Marine Corps, shared my concerns in these areas.

"I did not anticipate the widespread reaction to this magazine article, and to the extent that my writing subjected women at the Academy or the active Armed Forces to undue hardship, I remain profoundly sorry. On the first occasion that I was invited back to the Academy in 1983, among my comments was a strong call for harmony among male and female midshipmen.

"This issue was addressed during two Senate confirmation hearings, in 1984 and 1987, to the satisfaction of the Senate, which on both occasions unanimously supported my appointments in the Defense Department. Further, when I was Secretary of the Navy, I strengthened policies against sexual harassment. I also personally convened a Navy-wide task force of senior male and female officers and NCOs to examine roles of women in the Navy, and as a result tripled the number of operational assignments available to women."
Brilliant. I am even more proud to be working to elect Jim Webb to the US Senate than I was before. This is the kind of person I want representing me. No sniveling, spineless half-apologies while attacking the media bogeyman.

Integrity. Backbone. Humility. Our next Senator. Jim Webb.

To contribute to Jim Webb for Senate, click
Bloggers for Webb


, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments on "Another Example of Why Jim Webb is Better than George Allen"

 

post a comment

View My Stats



ButtonGenerator.com
Politics Blogs
Start Blogging